30 October 2010

Hereafter

Previews:
-Fair game (-)
-Due Date (Y)
-Faster (N)
-Little Fockers (N)
-Unstoppable (Y)

Let us set the stage. Nay and I walk into an empty theater (this tends to happen to us... why?) and we sit in the middle. And quite naturally, this lady, who knows we have our feet propped up on the chairs in front of us, decides to sit in front of us... and then apologize. Thanks lady. You're legit... not so much.

But really let's get to the movie, that's where it's at.

Let us set the stage for the movie! Okay, so we have Matt Damon who's age is really starting to show through, and his character is George. We have Cecile de France who plays a French reporter: Marie. We have Frankie and George McLaren who play some ridiculously cute/fabulous characters Marcus and Jason. And last but not least, we have Bryce Dallas Howard who plays Melanie. BDH is one of my favorite actresses and I really wish that her part in this movie was bigger, but no one consulted me.

George (damon) has an ability to talk to people from the dead. It's pretty cool but it is really quite detrimental to his social life. The movie basically goes through his life and the life of Marie and Marcus/Jason. So there are three story lines. The problem I faced with this movie was that it is a little slow. I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I bought a ticket to this movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. So, the movie is kind of slow and I really struggled with these three story lines. They really seemed disjointed at parts of the movie and kind of dragged on without a light at the end of the tunnel. Will we ever know what happens to them? The answer, of course, is yes. You will find out what happened to them. I don't want to give a whole lot away about the movie itself, but the acting was quite great. The twins who play Marcus and Jason really played convincing roles. It gave Nay and I the GOT (gift of tears). There were some emotionally moving scenes (primarily played by the twins) and I know I really took a liking to these characters and felt for them.

The great thing about this movie is that it is about death. Whether we believe in a person's ability to "connect" with the dead or not, there is a tendency to want to know where we go after we die, and where our loved ones have gone after their passing. This show explores this from many different angles and also creates a universal point of view; we are not alone in our curiosity about death.

A couple times, the music really bothered me. I'm not sure if it was because it was out of place, but I just got a little confused. This show is not a thriller; it is a drama. But on occasion, the music was a little scary. However, the music was not of great concern and altogether did not hinder our enjoyment or rather fixation of the plot. We were still hooked.

So, overall, Nay and I liked this movie. I don't know if I'll see it again, I know I wouldn't buy it, but it's worth a watch. Plus, the scenery in this movie is really fabulous. They filmed in: Maui, London, France, and some in California. The beach scene in the beginning is really breathtaking... hello... it's Hawaii, who's surprised? Hawaii is the most gorgeous place on earth (in my opinion).

But anyways, I encourage you to see this one! It was a good movie with almost no profanity, nudity, violence, etc. A good movie, indeed.

peace.

0 comments: