25 October 2010

The Event

I figured it out today. What is it that makes a television show great? What is it that keeps us watching it week after week, month after month, and for years? Take Grey's anatomy, it has juicy plots and medical craziness. It makes us wish we had that profession (occasionally, at least). Reality shows build upon themselves and you can't really miss any to keep following along. But what makes a show like LOST different from a show like The Event. It dawned on me today. Lost is a great show. And the characters are dynamic, they have a past (which you actually get to learn about), you come to know and love and care about the characters. But Lost has a vital component to a dramatic tv series. The music.

Now, I can't claim that I'm some sort of musical genius. But I know when I'm hooked to a television show or not. When my family started watching Lost, 3 series were completed and the fourth season was just about to start. We started watching season one in the middle of Christmas break, and by the time I was back in my dorm room the week before classes started again, I had finished three seasons. Boom. Boom. Boom. whatup!! It's nice to get to watch shows consecutively and not have to wait a week. But when season four started, I didn't mind waiting. Because it was nothing short of awesome. But let's talk about the music. Nearly every episode had their five second intro LOST tagline. And every episode ended with the same musical burst of "oh my goodness, what will happen next??!?!?!" Michael Giacchino composed the music for Lost and a lot of other wonderful-ness. Why can't they sign him onto The Event.
So my problem with The Event (besides the alien factor) is that the music isn't all that great. They have their little tagline "The Event" thing that comes in after the first couple minutes. But it doesn't really get your heart racing. And the ending doesn't ever really hook me. I watch week after week because I have a slight curiosity to see if this show can fill the void that Lost left me with, but so far? has it? meh. I don't know. I don't love the characters. I know a little bit about them, but they're only so-so. I'm not convinced that any of them are vital to the show. And furthermore, I don't really care who dies (in the show, of course). I just don't love them. Perhaps what really gets me about The Event is the alien component. Now, I watched a season of StarTrek Voyager with my dad in middle school and I was hooked. It was fun and exciting. I love Star Wars. I think I could like battlestar gallactica if I ever watched it, but something about the fact that these people who look exactly like humans are aliens? I don't know if my imagination can buy it. I cannot fully get into this show. My parents and I are teetering on whether it's not worth watching. What to do?
Anyways, this is my first post in a very long time. But I thought about the musical component of Lost and how it affected my love of the show. It made me scared, happy, and all the other emotions; the music helped me feel what the show was meant to convey. The Event needs some help in this department. It might help for them to go to a beautiful island! Or maybe they should learn from other great shows and just get Lost!

0 comments: